This has been a big week and it’s only Tuesday. Last weekend, I packed up as much of my house as possible, loaded it up in as few suitcases as possible, packed it into my sister’s car and headed to Minneapolis. I’m spending the week here before flying up to Anchorage on Friday. Then Sam will wrap up work and come with the car in about a month 😦
I am truly excited about moving up there, but I have been pretty sad about leaving Madison, all our wonderful friends, and our new house. My sister recently asked me to tell her things I’ll miss about Madison, so I thought I would take the time to make a nice little top 10 list. This is way more than she bargained for. But it’s handy… for posterity. And for whenever I come back. And for you.
(Of course, as I wrote this, I decided I needed a whole separate category for food.)
1. Biking on a warm summer evening to the terrace to drink beer and eat popcorn
2. Having friends over to eat dinner on our deck
4. “Working” meetings at the Echo Tap
5. “Kayaking” (also what some would call floating aimlessly) on Lake Monona with Abby
7. Devil’s Lake State Park: huffing it up the bluff and then sitting on a rock and taking in the view
8. Paoli bike rides and stopping at the top of observatory hill to enjoy the view and catch your breath
9. Thrift shopping at ReThreads on State Street (tons of cuteness under $10)
10. Walking over to Kate’s house in my jammies on Saturday mornings for coffee
1. Cheese curds and old fashionds at the Old Fashioned
2. The Fair Oaks Skillet at Willaby’s Cafe
3. Vanilla swirls at Batches Bakehouse
4. Anything and everything at Greenbush Bakery. Pick one and then ask the doughnut dealer for his or her favorite.
5. Playing flip cup with cheap pitchers of beer at State Street Brats
6. Panang curry, chicken eggrolls, and mango and sticky rice at Ha Long Bay
7. Walnut burger at The Harmony
8. Crusier-bike riding to Mickey’s Dairy Bar for scramblers and cinnamon rolls
9. Commuter bike riding to Mickey’s bar to get drinks on their back patio on warm summer nights
Rest of Wisconsin/UP
1. Renting ski-in cabins at ABR Ski Trails (Ironwood, MI)
2. 4th of July fireworks on Boom Lake (Rhinelander)
3. Biking up to Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains and then trying to hit 40 MPH on the way back down. I’ve never done it. Yet! (Ontonagon, MI)
4. Canoeing the Kickapoo. Just as good: driving through the driftless to explore its various parks and fishing the streams on the way there (Ontario)
5. Pewitt’s Nest -bring your swimsuit! (Baraboo)
7. The Trails at Nine Mile and Rib Mountain can hold an honorary spot too (Wausau)
8. A summer day on any lake in Northern Wisconsin, on a boat, with beer, and country music. Heavenly.
9. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore – easily the best vacation of my life (Grand Marais, MI)
10. …I’m leaving this open to represent the large amounts of awesomeness yet to be explored in Wisconsin
What else would you add to the list??